What can happen if my child has to go to court for truancy?

If a court finds a student has been truant, the court can order the student to:

  • Attend school regularly
  • Switch schools (if there is space, and an appropriate program available);
  • Get testing to determine if the student has used alcohol or drugs, and if so, then follow recommendations of the assessment;
  • Get a mental health evaluation

If a court finds that a parent failed to ensure their child attend school as required, the court can order the parent to:

  • Pay a fine of not more than $25 for each day of unexcused absence; or
  • Do community service.

A parent can avoid the fines by showing that the school didn't follow its duties to notify, meet or work with the parent and student to reduce absences, or by attending a conference to address the reasons for the absences and participating with the school and student in a supervised plan for attendance.