Resources from other organizations

The following list contains several resources and organizations that OEO finds helpful in its work in supporting families and schools statewide. Please note that this list is not intended to be exhaustive. At the bottom of this list, you will find information about other ombuds services in our state:

Federal and State Resources

US Department of Education (including Office for Civil Rights)

Washington State Department of Children, Youth & Families (DCYF) (for early learning questions)

Washington State Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI):

Washington State Board of Education

Washington State Department of Social and Health Services

  • Child-Focused Resources (including abuse/neglect, healthcare, child care, adoption)
  • Developmental Disabilities Administration
  • Youth Services (including mentoring, kinship care, incarcerated youth, runaway supports, homelessness, foster care)
  • Washington Connection (offers a fast and easy way for families and individuals to apply for a variety of services such as Food, Cash, Child Care, Long-Term Care, and Medicare Savings Programs. Individuals that are age 65 or older, blind or disabled may also apply for medical assistance.)

Washington State Developmental Disabilities Council

ILRU Directory of Centers for Independent Living (CILs) and Associations

Washington's Race and Ethnicity Commissions

Nonprofit Organizations

Dispute Resolution Services and Legal Help

Kinship Care Services

Other Ombuds Offices

OEO is one among other ombuds services in the state, ranging from internal ombuds within school districts to ombuds tackling other topics and issues. Ombuds offices can have different functions and powers, so check in with an ombuds office to understand more about their model.

School District Ombuds Offices

Washington State Ombuds Offices

Behavioral Health Organization Ombuds Services (Mental Health and Substance Abuse)

College and University Ombuds Offices

Note: This is not a complete list of college and university ombuds offices. A longer list is posted on a Higher Ed Ombuds Blog, Colleges and universities may have offices that serve similar functions but operate under different names.

County and City Ombuds Offices

  • Crisis Connections Emotional crisis and trauma services in King County. Toll Free 866-427-4747 or 206-461-3210
  • DSHS, Mental Health Division, Regional Support Networks Information and referral to public mental health services and to crisis lines. Toll Free 866-789-1511
    • Highline Public Schools District Ombudsman. 206.631.3104.  The District Ombuds works with families and schools to help resolve concerns, explain policies and procedures, and promote partnership for student success.
    • Vancouver Public Schools Office Of The Education Ombuds 360.313.1340  The education ombuds works with students, families, schools, and the community through the discipline process to resolve conflicts, build supportive partnerships, and foster collaboration so that every student can engage in a valuable educational experience within Vancouver Public Schools. The ombuds will provide confidential and unbiased guidance, resources, information, and support to build greater family-school partnerships. This work will aid in supporting the districts initiative of creating a school system with equity by removing barriers that impede students from accessing the tools and resources they need to successfully engage in their learning environments.

    • Office of the Family and Children's Ombuds (OFCO)   1.800.571.7321.  The Family and Children's Ombuds investigates complaints in Washington state about agency actions or inaction that involve:  any child at risk of abuse, neglect, or other harm; a child or parent involved with child protection or child welfare services.
    • Washington State Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program 1-800-562-6028; TTY Users: 1-800-737-7931.  The Washington State Long-Term Care Ombudsman advocates for residents of nursing homes, adult family homes, and assisted living facilities. Their purpose is to protect and promote the Resident Rights guaranteed these residents under Federal and State law and regulations. We are trained to receive complaints and resolve problems in situations involving quality of care, use of restraints, transfer and discharge, abuse and other aspects of resident dignity and rights.
    • Open Government Ombuds Function – Washington State Attorney General. 360-586-7842. The Attorney General has appointed an Assistant Attorney General for Open Government who can assist citizens and agencies with Public Records Act and Open Public Meetings Act compliance.
    • Office of Developmental Disabilities Ombuds – . The Office of Developmental Disabilities Ombuds delivers resident-directed, complaint-based, person-centered ombuds services. A Regional Ombuds resolves complaints on the delivery of developmental disabilities services, monitors and reports on and makes recommendations about services to persons with developmental disabilities. The Ombuds addresses rights violations and issues of abuse and/or neglect.
    • Office of the Ombudsman for Injured Workers of Self-Insured Businesses. 1.888.317.0493. The Office of the Ombuds advocates for the rights of injured workers of self-insured employers by providing information, investigating complaints and taking action to ensure the worker receives the appropriate benefits under Washington state industrial insurance law. The Office of the Ombuds provides information about workers' compensation, including education, training, publications and web resources.