What if we lost our housing and my child misses school while we are trying to find a new place? Can I get help from the school?

Yes. There is a federal law called the McKinney Vento Act that gives supports and protections to students “experiencing homelessness.” That can include students who are doubling up with family or friends temporarily because they lost their own housing.

Every school district has someone on staff whose job is to help students experiencing homelessness. That person is called the McKinney-Vento Liaison. You can find their contact information by calling your district, or looking on OSPI's page for Education of Homeless Children and Youth at https://ospi.k12.wa.us/student-success/access-opportunity-education/students-experiencing-homelessness/homeless-education-liaison-contact-list. 

Absences related to a student's homeless status should be excused.

Students who are experiencing homelessness can also receive supports from the school to help them keep up, to avoid having to change schools, and to help with transitions if they do have to move.