What if we are homeless and my child misses school while we are trying to find housing? Can I get help from the school?

Yes. Every school district has someone on staff whose job is to help homeless youth and families. That person is called the McKinney-Vento Liaison. You can find their contact information by calling your district, or looking on OSPI's page for Education of Homeless Children and Youth at https://www.k12.wa.us/student-success/access-opportunity-education/homeless-education. Absences related to a student's homeless status should be excused. Students who are experiencing homelessness can also receive supports from the school to help them keep up, to avoid having to change schools, and to help with transitions if they do have to move. These protections come from the federal McKinney-Vento Act.