Supports for Students with Disabilities
“Disability is a natural part of the human experience ….” -- Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
Students with disabilities attend school in every community. Over the course of our lifetimes, about 20% of us, or 1 out of every 5, will have some kind of disability.
All students with disabilities have the right to equal access to education, and to be free from discrimination. Depending on the nature of a student’s disability and how it affects them at school, the school may need to provide accommodations, modifications, specially designed instruction, or other supports in order to for the student to have equal access and participate in school.
- Students with a disability who need some kind of specially designed instruction can receive “Special Education” through an “IEP” or Individualized Education Program.
- Students with a disability who need accommodations might have a “Section 504 Plan.”
If you think a student might have a disability and need accommodations or specialized instruction, you can request that the school district do an evaluation.
Learn more about IEPs, Section 504 plans, evaluations and protections for students with disabilities here:
- What is Special Education?
- How a student becomes eligible for Special Education (Evaluations)
- Individualized Education Programs (IEP)
Find additional resources here:
Supports at School
- Toolkit: Getting Started with Disability Supports at School English / Compartiendo una nueva diagnosis de su hijo/a con la escuela en español
- Toolkit: Prior Written Notice (PWN) English Notificación Previa por Escrito español
- Protecting the Educational Rights of Students with Disabilities English / Protección de los Derechos Educativos de los Estudiantes con Discapacidad en Escuelas Públicas en español
- Special Education Resources [Information and Support for Navigating Special Education Services and Resolving Concerns]
- One Out of Five: Disability History and Pride Project Student Voice Videos and Teaching Resource
- Nothing About Us Without Us PowerPoint / Nothing About Us Without Us Webinar